- Make the chow chow: In a medium bowl, combine cabbage, onion, bell pepper, and salt; set aside overnight.
- In a pot large enough to fit cabbage mixture, boil remaining ingredients for 10 minutes, stirring to dissolve sugar. Drain any liquid released from cabbage mixture, then add vegetables to boiling vinegar mixture. Simmer for 10 minutes, the set aside to cool. Mixture will keep in refrigerator for 2 weeks.
- Make the spicy aioli: Add egg, garlic, and lemon juice to a food processor. With food processor running, slowly drizzle in oil until emulsified. Stir in salt, pepper, and chili garlic sauce to taste.
- Make the fritters: In a large bowl, stir first seven ingredients together until well combined. Form into balls and refrigerate at least 1 hour or up to 2 days.
- Heat oil to 350 degrees. Working in batches, lower fritters into oil and fry until golden brown and cooked through, about 3 minutes. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to cool.