¼ pound bacon
1 pound chicken livers, trimmed of connective tissue
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup vegetable oil
2 hard-boiled eggs, roughly chopped
1 finely diced shallot
½ cup Hellman’s mayonnaise
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Cook bacon until crispy. Drain fat and chop into bits. Transfer cooked bacon to mixing bowl.
- Season livers with salt and pepper and dredge through all-purpose flour. Add vegetable oil to sauté pan and sauté over medium heat until livers become crispy on one side. Flip livers over and place entire pan in oven at 350 degrees
for 5 minutes.
- Remove livers from pan and place on paper towel-lined plate to cool. Plate can be cooled in refrigerator.
- After livers have cooled, chop into ½-inch pieces. Put chopped liver, bacon bits, hard-boiled egg, shallots, mayonnaise, and parsley in bowl and lightly mix together. Adjust salt and pepper if necessary.
- Serve on toast.
- from Chef Shaun Doty, restaurateur and a founder of Georgians for Pastured Poultry in Atlanta, GA