1 pint teardrop tomatoes, cut in half
2 cucumbers – cut in half, seeded, cut into half moons ⅛-inch thick
2 each large red and golden beets roasted
2 tablespoons chiffinade basil
1 tablespoon chopped thyme
2 cups toasted diced cornbread
1 tablespoon garlic
2 bunches Frisse lettuce, rough cut
Salt & pepper to taste
½ cup grated fontina cheese
8 ounces butter, softened (plus 2 tablespoons for pan and cubes)
2 ounces sugar
2 ounces powdered sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1¼ cup milk
1⅓ cups cornmeal
1¼ cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons baking powder
2 teaspoons salt
¼ cup lemon juice
½ cup olive oil
For the Cornbread
- Mix all ingredients, except the grated fontina, together in a large bowl. Add a little dressing at a time to the salad until to your liking. Salt and pepper to taste. Top with cheese and serve.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 10X14 inch square pan.
- In large mixing bowl whip together the butter, sugar, and powdered sugar until in looks creamy. Add the eggs and continue mixing. While mixing add, a little at a time, the dry ingredients and then a little of the milk.
- Continue by alternating both ingredients a little at a time until all ingredients are blended. Place in a buttered pan and bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool. Cut into ¼ inch squares for salad. Toss together in a bowl with melted butter. Toast in oven on sheet tray until browned.
- Mix together in a bowl.
*Note: To roast beets, coat lightly in oil, place on sheet tray, roast in oven at 375 degrees until fork tender. Remove from oven and let cool. Take a towel and remove the skin from the beats. Cut into a medium dice. Set aside.
- from John Zucker of Cru Catering in Charleston, SC