2-4 appetizer servings
2 cups cornmeal
½ cup fresh herbs, chopped
14 select oysters, medium-large
24 ounces ketchup
1 ounce Worcestershire sauce
2 ounces lemon juice
1 ounce chopped basil
12 ounces horseradish, freshly grated
1 ounce wasabi powder
2 tablespoons black pepper, cracked
Wasabi Cocktail sauce
- Combine corn meal and herbs together in a food processor. Pulse until fully blended.
- Pour peanut oil into an 8-inch deep sauce pan, about 3 inches deep. Heat the oil to 350 degrees.
- Coat oysters, individually, in herb cornmeal mixture. Carefully place oysters in the hot oil. Do not put too many oysters at a time in the oil. Lightly fry until golden brown and crispy. Serve with cocktail sauce on top.
For the Wasabi Cocktail Sauce
- Combine all ingredients and mix well. If too think, add a little water or lemon juice.
- from John Zucker of Cru Catering in Charleston, SC