½ cup country ham, diced
½ cup leeks, diced
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons pernod
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup fine cornmeal
2 tablespoons Old Bay seasoning
Sunchoke Relish (make your own or use your favorite brand)
16 shucked oysters, save the liquor for reduction and bottom shells for serving
Enough peanut oil to fry oysters at 365°
Country Ham Leek Reduction
- Mix reduction ingredients together until incorporated.
- For oysters, mix dry ingredients together. Toss in oysters and coat well.
- Place each oyster in the hot oil and fry about 30 seconds, until crisp.
- Place a small spoonful of the reduction on the shell.
- Top each shell with a crispy oyster strait from the oil.
- Finish with a dab of Sunchoke relish!
- from Executive Chef James Clark of The Carolina Inn's Crossroads Restaurant, Chapel Hill, NC