4 hearty sandwiches
6 large eggs
½ cup lemon aioli (recipe follows)
1 tablespoon salt-packed capers, chopped (regular capers work fine if you don’t have salt-packed ones)
1 tablespoon minced chives
Salt and pepper to taste
2 handfuls pea greens
Juice of half a lemon
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
4 slices soft Pullman bread, crust removed
4 egg yolks
2 cups olive oil
Juice from 1 lemon
Salt and pepper
- Cover eggs with cold water and bring to a rolling boil. Remove from heat and cover for 14 minutes.
- Add ice to pot or run under cold water to cool eggs. When cool enough to handle, peel and separate whites from yolks.
- Mash yolks and aioli until smooth. Add chopped capers and chives. Coarsely chop egg whites and fold into yolk mixture. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Toss pea greens with lemon juice, olive oil, and a pinch of salt. Use to garnish egg salad.
- Serve as tramezzini (Italian untoasted sandwiches) on Pullman bread.
For Lemon Aioli
Combine egg yolks with 1 teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper in a food processor and blend until smooth. Slowly drizzle in olive oil with machine running, adding a drop or two of water if mixture becomes too thick. Whisk in lemon juice.
- from Chef Billy Cotter of Toast, Durham, NC