1 cup soaked black-eyed peas
5 cups chicken stock, separated
1 onion, diced
1 carrot, diced
2 ribs celery, diced
3 ounces country ham
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup Carolina gold rice
Canola oil as needed
2 6-ounce pieces of flounder
1 tablespoon butter
4 tablespoons hot sauce
1 stick softened butter
- Cook presoaked peas in 3 cups of stock. Add chopped vegetables and ham.
- Once vegetable are tender, season to taste. Let cool in the liquid.
- Cook rice with remaining stock.
- Drain peas only when they have cooled (leaving in the vegetables and bits of ham). Add peas to the hot rice.
- Heat a sauté pan over medium heat. Add a bit of oil and a pat of butter. When butter starts to brown, season the founder with salt and pepper and add to pan. Brown for 2-3 minutes on one side, flip, and turn off the pan.
- In a small saucepot, slightly warm the hot sauce. Whisk in butter to make a sauce.
- Scoop rice and peas into bottom of two bowls, place the fish on top, and sauce with the hot sauce butter. Chow chow or pepper relish would also add a nice finishing touch.
- from Chef Lee Gregory of The Roosevelt in Richmond, Virginia