- In a small bowl, add yeast to water and stir to combine. Let sit for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Place flour, salt, sugar, and oil in mixing bowl. Place on mixer with dough hook attachment.
- Add yeast mixture to flour mixture. Place mixer on lowest setting and mix for 10 minutes. If dough seems dry while mixing, add water one tablespoon at a time.
- When finished mixing, lightly oil a large bowl and place dough in bowl. Turn dough to make sure both side are coated with oil.
- Place towel over bowl and place in warm area for an hour or until it doubles in size.
- Cut dough into 3 equal pieces, fashion into balls and let rise 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice the top ¼ inch off bulb of garlic.
- Place into oven and roast 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool 10 minutes and then peel garlic.
- Roll out dough ball until it is ⅛ inch thick.
- Using pizza cutter, cut dough into 2 inch squares.
- Place a piece of roasted garlic, a pinch of parmesan and a sprinkle of salt and pepper into the center of each square. Fold opposing corners together to make a point in the middle. Repeat the process to close the knot by pinching the dough together at the top to make a point. (It should look like bulb of garlic.)
- Place knots on sheet pan and put into oven for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool.
marinara, homemade pesto, bbq sauce, ranch, 1000 island dressing, NC's own Cackalacky sauce ... you get the idea!
ADDITIONAL FILLING IDEAS /
In addition to the roasted garlic, parmesan, and a little s&p in the knot, feel free to add something FUN! Suggestions include (but are not limited to): italian sausage, artichoke hearts, roasted brussel sprouts, homemade pesto, braised short ribs or brisket ... really anything you can think of!!