1 tablespoon ground coriander
2 teaspoons ground cumin
½ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 medium onions, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 fresh, hot green chili pepper, minced
2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
4 cups cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
2 cups tomatoes
⅔ cup water
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped dates
1 pound halloumi cheese, portioned into 4 pieces
1 green tomato, sliced into 4 pieces
Salt and pepper to taste
Toasted pita bread
Fresh herbs of choice
For Spice Bundle
- Over low heat, toast all spices in a saucepan, then remove from heat and bundle together in a cheesecloth.
- In a medium sized pot, add olive oil and sautée onions, garlic, chili, and ginger.
- Add spice bundle and rest of ingredients and simmer until thick, approximately 15 minutes.
- Heat a large skillet and add a small amount of olive oil.
- Season green tomato slices with salt and pepper and sear each slice for one minute per side. Set side on a paper towel.
- Heat another large skillet and add a small amount of olive oil.
- Sear each slice of cheese on each side until outside is golden brown and inside is soft and heated through. (This cheese is typically packaged in a brine, so there is no need for extra salt.)
- Divide daal into four bowls. In center of bowl, layer a slice of green tomato and halloumi cheese.
- Garnish with toasted pita bread and fresh herbs.