2 blood oranges, juiced
1 cup good-quality balsamic vinegar
2-3 large local ripe tomatoes
1 ball bufala mozzarella (roughly 8 ounces)
6 fresh basil leaves
1 ounce Leoci’s extra virgin olive oil or other quality brand
Sicilian sea salt and freshly cracked pepper
- For vinaigrette, combine blood orange juice and balsamic vinegar together in a saucepan set over medium heat. Reduce for 15 minutes.
- Slice each tomato into 3 1-inch slices.
- Drain mozzarella and cut into ¾-inch slices.
- Start to compose “towers” of caprese: place a tomato slice onto a plate, top with vinaigrette, lay 2 basil leaves to that they remain sticking out, then stack a slice of mozzarella cheese and season with a pinch of cracked pepper and Sicilian sea salt. Repeat.
- from Chef Roberto Leoci of Leoci's Trattoria in Savannah, Georgia