½ pound smoked sausage, diced
1 pound onions, diced
½ medium green bell pepper, diced
1 celery stalk, diced
½ tablespoon garlic, minced
5 pounds cooked, de-boned, and chopped chicken thighs (roasted, grilled, or boiled)
1 (32-ounce) bottle ketchup
5 ounces yellow mustard
8 ounces tomato-based barbecue sauce
1 (5-ounce) can tomato soup
¼ cup worcestershire sauce
½ cup apple cider vinegar
1¼ pounds lima beans
1 pound corn kernels
½ quart chicken stock
Salt, pepper, and hot sauce to taste
- In a thick-bottomed stock pot, sauté sausage, onion, bell pepper, celery, and garlic until onions are translucent.
- Add all remaining ingredients but chicken stock, salt, pepper, and hot sauce in pot and simmer.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until all vegetables are tender, approximately 45 minutes.
- Add chicken stock to thin consistency as needed.
- Season with salt, pepper, and hot sauce. Serve with crusty bread.
- From Jimmy Hagood of Food For The Southern Soul, Charleston, South Carolina