- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Rub doves thoroughly inside and out with salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. Heat large frying pan or cast iron skillet on medium-high heat. Add bacon fat and doves and brown dove on the outside.
- Arrange browned doves in the bottom of a deep casserole and cover with chopped onion, mushrooms, and thyme.
- Add flour to the fat in the frying pan and stir constantly until the flour turns a dark brown. Add chicken broth and whisk thoroughly until smooth.
- Pour broth mixture over the doves, cover, and cook in oven for 90 minutes, or until done. Serve over white or brown rice.