12 doves (limit), picked and cleaned
Garlic powder to taste
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons of bacon fat
1 large onion, chopped
12 button mushrooms, sliced
4 sprigs of thyme
1 tablespoon flour
2 cups chicken stock
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Rub doves thoroughly inside and out with salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. Heat large frying pan or cast iron skillet on medium-high heat. Add bacon fat and doves and brown dove on the outside.
- Arrange browned doves in the bottom of a deep casserole and cover with chopped onion, mushrooms, and thyme.
- Add flour to the fat in the frying pan and stir constantly until the flour turns a dark brown. Add chicken broth and whisk thoroughly until smooth.
- Pour broth mixture over the doves, cover, and cook in oven for 90 minutes, or until done. Serve over white or brown rice.
- from Ben McC. Moise, Charleston, SC