4 ounces dried porcini mushrooms
2 tablespoons dried thyme
1 tablespoon dry mustard
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons dried carrot powder (optional)
1 trimmed bison rib eye roast
- Pulverize dried mushrooms in a coffee grinder (make sure you clean out the grinder first!) until finely ground.
- Stir in thyme, mustard, cayenne pepper, and carrot powder.
- Season bison liberally with kosher salt and then rub with porcini rub. Let stand for about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place rib in a roasting pan on a wire rack. Roast until an internal temperature of 130 degrees, about 2 hours.
- Let rest for at least 25 minutes before slicing.
- from Chef John Fleer, Rhubarb, Asheville, NC