2 tablespoons clarified butter
6 large sea scallops
1 ounce fresh French Black Winter Perigord truffle, diced to large pea size, or larger
2 tablespoon whole butter, softened
1 tablespoon sour cream
Prepared Risotto for serving
Additional fresh truffle 1/16 inch slices for optional garnish
- Heat 2 tablespoons clarified butter over medium high heat. (You can purchase clarified butter or you can make it by melting unsalted butter slowly, allowing water to evaporate and milk solids to be separated from the butter as it is heated. Clarified butter is used because it has a higher smoke point and does not burn as easily as regular butter.)
- Sauté scallops in hot pan, turning once to achieve a nice brown sear.
- Remove scallops from pan and keep warm, but do not keep in a hot oven as they will overcook and become tough.
- In very small pan mix diced truffle with butter over warm heat. As soon as the butter melts, add the sour cream, remove from heat.
- Prepare a bed of risotto, place 3 scallops per plate over rice and top with half the truffle sauce. Serve with steamed asparagus or other vegetable. Garnish with fresh truffle slices.
- from truffle farmers Franklin and Betty Garland in Hillsborough, North Carolina