½ cup olive oil
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 pounds fresh shrimp, shelled and deveined
2 cups arborio rice
1 cup white wine
32 ounces vegetable broth + 1 cup water
- In a stock pot, heat ¼ cup of olive oil on low heat. Add half of garlic and sauté for one to two minutes until tender. Add shrimp and cook until slightly pink, 3 – 4 minutes. Add a splash of white wine and cook until there is no liquid. Place shrimp mixture in a bowl to the side.
- In another pan heat remaining oil on medium low heat. Add remaining garlic and sauté until tender. Add rice and continue to sauté until golden for one to two minutes. Add wine and stir until absorbed and pan is dry.
- Heat broth water mixture in a small pot on low heat. Slowly add broth to rice mixture, enough to cover it, and stir rice until all liquid is absorbed. Continue to add the broth until the rice is cooked al dente (with a little bite to the tooth).
- When rice mixture is cooked, add remaining broth and shrimp mixture. Serve hot.
- from the Zorza Family Recipe Files, Charleston, SC