50 egg rolls
3/4 pounds Crimini mushrooms, smoked (yields about 1 ½ cups sliced)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup yellow onions, diced
½ cup celery, diced
½ cup green bell pepper, diced
½ tablespoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1/8 ground white pepper
½ teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon cumin
¼ teaspoon dried whole-leaf savory
¼ teaspoon dried whole-leaf oregano
1/8 teaspoon dried whole-leaf thyme
½ tablespoon garlic, minced
½ jalapeño pepper, finely chopped
1 cup finely chopped roasted eggplant (drizzle medium-sized eggplant with olive oil and bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees)
1 bay leaf
2 ½ cups water or vegetable stock
½ tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 ½ cups aromatic white rice
½ cup green onions, sliced
1 tablespoon parsley, finely chopped
¼ cup toasted pine nuts, puréed
egg roll wrappers as needed
1 tablespoon dry mustard powder, dissolved in 1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon plain rice vinegar
1/3 cup dijon mustard
½ cup honey
1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Slice the smoked mushrooms and bake on a sheet pan for 45 minutes at 350 degrees. Remove from oven and set aside to cool. Place half of the mushrooms in a food processor and process until finely chopped. Set aside.
- In a pot, heat the olive oil over high heat. Add ¾ cups of the onions, ¼ cup of the celery, and ¼ cup of the bell peppers. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are dark brown (caramelized).
- Add the remaining onions, celery, and bell peppers. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the second stage of onions become soft and clear.
- Reduce heat to low. Add the salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, white pepper, chili powder, cumin, savory, oregano, thyme, garlic, jalapeño, and bay leaf. Cook, stirring occasionally for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the sliced smoked mushrooms, finely chopped smoked mushrooms, and chopped roasted eggplant. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the water, soy sauce, and butter and bring the mixture to a boil. Add the rice and return the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to very low, cover, and simmer for exactly 17 minutes.
- Stir in the green onions, parsley, and puréed toasted pine nuts.
- Transfer the mixture to a shallow pan and refrigerate until fully chilled.
- To make egg rolls, make an egg wash with 1 beaten egg and 1 teaspoon water. Place 2 Tablespoons of the boudin mixture on each egg roll wrapper and roll, sealing with the egg wash. Fry the egg rolls for 5 minutes at 350 degrees or poach in simmering water for 5 minutes.
- Drizzle the egg rolls with Honey Chinese Mustard Sauce (see below).
For Mustard Sauce:
In small pot, add all ingredients and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, whisking until well blended. Remove from heat.
- Chef Frank Brigsten of Brigsten’s, New Orleans