A good fried green tomato is difficult to beat, especially when topped with homemade pimento cheese. The red onion jam lends sweetness and tang to complete the bite-sized appetizer. Be a crowd pleaser with this Southern classic, that elevates the appetizer spread.
10 ounces pimentos, diced (roasted or jarred is fine)
5 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
½ cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon hot sauce
½ teaspoon cayenne
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
½ teaspoon white pepper
10 ounces sharp cheddar, grated
Salt to taste
1 pound red onion, julienned
½ cup red wine vinegar
½ cup red wine (any dry wine works)
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground allspice
6 ounces brown sugar
1½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 green tomato, sliced in ½-inch-thick rounds
1 large egg
1 cup buttermilk
1½ cups flour
½ cup fine-ground cornmeal
1 cup breadcrumbs
1 tablespoon Lillies of Charleston Lowcountry Seasoning
Salt to taste
Oil for frying
Frisée leaves for garnish
Red onion jam
Fried green tomatoes
- Make the pimento cheese: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine all ingredients, mixing at medium speed, until well incorporated. Set aside.
- Make the red onion jam: In a small saucepan, add all ingredients except onions and bring to a boil. Add the onions and reduce heat to low. Let simmer until it thickens into a jam-like consistency. Season with salt and pepper. Cool to room temperature and refrigerate. Chop onions finely before use.
- Make fried green tomatoes: Prepare three bowls for dredging tomatoes. In a small bowl, whisk to combine flour with Lillies of Charleston Lowcountry Seasoning and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together buttermilk and egg. In the third bowl, whisk to combine breadcrumbs and cornmeal.
- Working one tomato slice at a time, dip into flour mix, egg mixture, and breadcrumb mixture.
- In a skillet, heat oil to 375 degrees. Place each tomato in skillet and cook until golden brown on both sides, flipping halfway through, about 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer cooked tomatoes to paper towels to drain.
- Assemble: Top each fried green tomato with pimento cheese, 1 tablespoon red onion jam, and frisée leaves.
Recipe ByDaniel Acosta of Grand Bohemian Hotel in Charleston