2¼ cups all-purpose flour
1½ teaspoons baking powder
¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1¾ cup baked and puréed sweet potato
2 cups white sugar
1 cup olive oil
½ cup buttermilk
½ cup eggs
Powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Preheat a 10-inch cast iron skillet in oven while preparing batter.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and salt.
- In a separate bowl fold together sweet potato and sugar.
- In a separate bowl whisk together olive oil, buttermilk, and eggs.
- Fold oil mixture into sweet potato mixture. Fold in flour mixture.
- Pour into preheated skillet and bake for 40 minutes, or until golden and firm in the middle. Serve as is or top with meringue.
Note: If you want to add meringue to cake, make the pecan meringue recipe for cookies, but instead of baking spread meringue in even layer over top of cooled cake. Dust powdered sugar over top and bake at 325 degrees for 15 minutes, or until meringue is light brown. Serve sliced from pan or store wrapped at room temperature.
- from Chef Rebekah Turshen, City House, Nashville, TN