- Water, Water, Everywhere / Rinse the chicken bones under cold, running water. Place the bones in a large stockpot and cover with approximately 1 gallon of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Skim the Surface / Skim the surface of the stock with a ladle or sieve. Continue to simmer, careful not to boil, for 2 hours. Skim the stock’s surface every 30 minutes.
- Find the Flavor / Chop the onions, celery, and carrots into large dice for the mirepoix. The diced amounts should be in a 2:1:1 ratio. Gather the herbs.
- Add It In / Add the mirepoix and herbs to the pot and simmer for an additional 2 hours.
Note: This is a base stock. Here is where you can get creative and add other herbs and spices.
- Strain the Stock / Gently strain the stock through a fine-mesh strainer lined with cheesecloth.
- Be Cool / Stir the strained stock over an ice bath until cool, then cover and refrigerate in a tightly sealed container for up to 5 days—or pour into ice cube trays and freeze for up to 2 months.