4 ounces ricotta cheese
Fine sea salt to taste
Fresh cracked black pepper to taste
16 medium-large squash blossoms, washed and dried
3 gold bar squash (if local, use Rosebank Farms)
1 teaspoon lemon juice
5 leaves fresh basil, chopped chiffonade
Extra virgin olive oil, as needed
4 zucchini (if local, use Ambrose Farms)
1 tablespoon butter
- Pre-heat grill, preferably charcoal or wood. However, gas is fine as an alternative.
- Season ricotta with a little fine sea salt and fresh cracked pepper and place in a piping bag (small Ziploc can be used instead by cutting off one of the bottom corners).
- Pipe ricotta mixture into blossoms, twist off ends of the blossoms and refrigerate to firm up.
- Shave the gold bar very thin on a mandolin or with a knife into filets that are the long natural shape of the squash.
- Dress the shaved raw squash with lemon juice, basil, oil, and salt. Refrigerate until needed.
- Meanwhile, drizzle oil on zucchini and grill quickly for 10 seconds on each side on a moderately hot part of your grill.
- Warm a sauté pan on grill and melt butter. When the butter is melted and starts to bubble, add blossoms and quickly brown on both sides.
- To serve, arrange the raw squash salad on the bottom. Casually arrange your grilled zucchini on top careful not to cover the bright yellow colors. Then finally add your squash blossoms on top. Drizzle the salad lightly with another squeeze of lemon and a little oil. Garnish with additional whole basil leaves. Enjoy!!
- from Chef Nathan Thurston of Stars Rooftop & Grill Room