- In skillet, toast rice and 1 cinnamon stick over high heat. Toss regularly to avoid burning. Rice is ready when toasty in color and smells rich and nutty. Remove cinnamon stick and set aside. Let rice cool. Place rice in a blender or food processor and blend on medium to break grain.
- Place broken grains in plastic storage container. Add 1 toasted cinnamon stick, 1 fresh cinnamon stick, and 3 cups milk. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours (or longer).
- Remove from fridge. Using fine sieve or cheesecloth (we use both, one after the other for a rich, creamy texture), strain seasoned milk away from rice. Discard rice.
- Stir in sugar to taste. Stir in spirit, to taste. Add extra spices, if desired.
- Bottle and refrigerate (the rum fortifies, so it will keep for months on end, becoming richer over time), or warm on stove top/in crockpot and serve hot.
Note: Most alcohol boils around 172 degrees, and milk scalds slightly below that, so be careful not to burn milk or boil off the booze.