- Trim the very tips of the white pith from the orange wedge and place it into the cocktail mixer. Place the bar napkin over the top of the cocktail mixer to cover it.
- Place the sugar cube in the center of the napkin. Carefully coat the sugar cube with seven dashes of each bitter. The napkin will catch the run off. Drop the soaked cube into the glass and discard the napkin.
- Muddle the sugar with the fruit of the orange wedge. Be careful to stay away from the pith. This will make the cocktail too bitter. The result should be a thick syrup.
- Add 1 ounce of the bourbon and muddle for 3 minutes. Add a handful of ice. Add an additional ounce of bourbon. Stir for 30 seconds. Pour into the rocks glass.
- Top with the remaining ½ ounce of bourbon and stir for 5 seconds. Serve immediately.