- Cut onion into small dice. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a medium saucepan. Add onion and caramelize over medium low heat. Set aside to cool.
- Combine shredded butter and cheese and chill.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, thyme, and salt.
- Cut cheese and butter into dry ingredients until combined.
- Add onion and half-and-half and mix to form dough.
- Roll out on a floured surface to ½ inch thick and then cut into 1½-inch biscuits.
- Place biscuits on a parchment-lined sheet pan and bake in a 375-degree oven for 15 minutes or until lightly brown. Alternatively, if you would like to give unbaked biscuits as a gift, place sheet pan in the freezer to let unbaked biscuits freeze. Once they are frozen place a square of parchment paper between the biscuits. Wrap in parchment and tie with baker’s twine or place the frozen biscuits in a cast iron skillet and wrap in a tea towel to present to your favorite host or hostess. Tie a small bundle of fresh thyme to the top of either the parchment-wrapped biscuits or the cast iron skillet. Keep frozen until they are delivered.