- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and fryer to 350 degrees.
- Slice cauliflower lengthwise but do not core then cut off green leafy parts. Season with Creole seasoning and herbs then place in casserole dish. Pour water into pan until it comes ½ way up cauliflower. Place in oven and roast/steam for 10 minutes or until cauliflower is fork tender.
- Carefully remove pan from oven, and set aside.
- Make tempura batter by whisk together soda water, beer, ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon pepper, Creole seasoning, and cornstarch in medium mixing bowl.
- Place flour in separate bowl with ½ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper. Set aside.
- Dip cauliflower into flour mix then into tempura batter. Place cauliflower into fryer and fry for 2 to 3 min or until golden brown. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with Creole seasoning.
- Place purple potato salad in center of plate then top with “cauliflower steak.” Drizzle with mushroom gravy. Garnish with seasoned arugula and roasted bell peppers tossed in sugarcane vinegar.
Purple Potato Salad
- Dice and blanch potatoes until tender and chill.
- In sauté pan on medium high heat, add grapeseed oil and sauté shallots, bell pepper and celery until tender and chill.
- In large bowl add potatoes, shallots, bell pepper, celery, capers, Creole mustard, yellow mustard, lemon juice and mix gently until well incorporated.
- Fold in green onions and season to taste.
- In heavy bottom pot, at medium high heat add all ingredients, and bring to boil. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes. Then turn the heat off, put the liquid into a blender and blend until rice becomes puree.
- Place back into a pot adjust seasoning and reserve for later use.
- Chop scrubbed vegetables into 1-inch chunks. Remember, the greater the surface area, the more quickly vegetables will yield their flavor.
- Heat oil in soup pot. Add onion, celery, carrots, scallions, garlic, mushroom stems, parsley, thyme, and bay leaves. Cook over high heat for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add salt and water and bring to boil. Lower heat and simmer, uncovered, for 1hour Strain. Discard vegetables.
Yield: 1 quart