Dr. Robin Ganzert, the president and CEO of American Humane, is focused on healthy options while making sure the taste doesn’t fall behind because of the ingredients. This protein-packed breakfast sandwich from her cookbook, The Humane Table: Cooking with Compassion, is great example of a recipe that fits her criteria. It uses eggs from Eggland’s Best, which rears its chickens with animal welfare top of mind. This hearty sandwich can either be consumed for breakfast or as an inviting lunch and will sustain you until your next meal!
1 (5-inch) Italian sausage link or 2
2 large Eggland’s Best eggs
1 tablespoon 2% milk
1⁄8 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Cajun or Creole seasoning, to taste (optional)
2 medium ciabatta rolls (or 4 slices rye bread)
2 teaspoons unsalted butter or margarine
2 slices low-fat cheddar cheese
- Slice sausage link (if using) in half crosswise, and then into 4 or 5 thin slices lengthwise. In a small skillet, brown sausage (or bacon) on both sides until crispy. Set aside.
- Whisk eggs in a small bowl with milk, salt, pepper, and seasoning.
- Slice ciabatta rolls (if using) in half horizontally.
- Heat butter or margarine in a skillet over medium heat. Add eggs. While cooking, shape the white into a rectangle until firm enough to flip. Cook through and remove from heat.
- Put each egg on the bottom half of a ciabatta roll (or on a slice of rye bread). Top with thinly sliced sausage and then a slice of cheese. Place the top half of roll (or bread slice) on each sandwich.
- Grill (or cook in a panini press) until sandwich is hot and cheese is melted.
Author: Robin R. GanzertDelicious recipes for home chefs who are mindful about the welfare of animals Now, more than ever, we are conscious of where our food comes from. We want to support farmers and ranchers who do things right and care deeply about the well-being of their animals. In line with this holistic approach, Dr. Robin Ganzert, CEO of American Humane–America's first national humane organization– has compiled delicious recipes featuring ingredients that are compassionately produced by farmers, ranchers, and other organizations that are American Humane Certified(TM). The recipes are constructed around the seasons– summer, fall, winter, and spring–so that whether you are simmering a stew on a cold night or grilling out under balmy skies, you can set a humane table year-round. Compassion and love are the ingredients for a humane table–a setting where American Humane's shared values of treating animals with kindness, respect, and dignity are truly celebrated. If you're a home chef who supports these same principles, The Humane Table is for you.$30.00
Pine Street Market's Maple Bacon Breakfast Links are hand-made using pasture-raised pork ground with bacon, quinoa flour, seasoned with black pepper and sage, and smoked slowly over applewood.$12.00
Recipe reprinted fromDr. Robin E. Ganzert, The Humane Table: Cooking with Compassion (Greenleaf Book Group Press, 2022)