- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Pat lamb shoulder dry with several paper towels, and place on cutting board. Season liberally with salt and paper on all sides.
- Place large Dutch oven over high heat, and when hot, add olive oil and lamb shoulder to pot fat side down. Press down lightly to ensure an even sear. Flip when first side is golden brown, approximately 4 to 6 minutes and sear second side.
- Pour enough red wine into pot to cover lamb ¾ of the way, and add all vegetables, bay leaves, and star anise. Place lid on dutch oven and place in oven, cooking at least four hours, or overnight.
- Remove lamb from Dutch oven and place on large plate or serving tray.
- Place Dutch oven on stove over high heat. Reduce liquid by half and spoon braised vegetables over lamb.
- Slice and serve.