For the Spice Mix
- Mix all ingredients together and set aside.
For the Fruit
- Bring 500 grams water to a boil.
- Pour it over the fruit; let it bloom (sit) for one hour.
- Drain the water, reserving the fruit.
For the Ragout
- In large pan, melt butter and olive oil over medium-low heat.
- Add capers, onions, and peppers and sweat them until tender.
- Add eggplant, celery, and olives; continue to sweat. Add spices and fruit.
- Add tomato sauce and red wine and balsamic vinegars. Continue to stew everything on low heat for about 45 minutes until tender.
- Add toasted pine nuts and your favorite fresh chopped herbs as you wish.
- Season to taste with salt. Serve hot or cold.
*Please note: In my cooking, I use grams, because weight is always a more precise and consistent measurement than volume. I highly recommend using a home scale. It’s worth the investment.