- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a heavy bottom 10-inch stainless steel skillet, melt butter with 1 cup sorghum until well incorporated. Remove from heat.
- Add apples to skillet, round side down. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat eggs, buttermilk, melted butter, and remaining 4 ounces sorghum syrup. Add cornmeal, salt, and flour. Beat until well incorporated.
- Pour batter over apples and bake at 325 degrees for 35-45 minutes. Cool for five minutes.
- To serve, place a large plate or platter to fit over frying pan mouth, and carefully flip over. Tap skillet bottom to release cake. Slice into wedges and serve with ice cream, garnishing with sorghum syrup.