- To make Cochon giardiniera, toast bay leaves and peppercorns.
- Combine vinegar, olive oil salt, sugar, pepper flakes, and oregano in a pot and bring to a simmer. Add bay leaves and peppercorns. Steep 5 minutes.
- Strain bay leaves and peppercorns.
- Place vegetables in a 1 gallon container and pour liquid over vegetables. Let sit for two days before straining liquid and puréeing vegetables.
- To make muffaletta, spread each half of bread with giardiniera.
- On bottom half, lay out capicola, then mortadella, then salami, then provolone. Close sandwich.
Note: For a hot sandwich, place in 350 degree oven for about 5 minutes. Or serve at room temperature. Serve whole, cut in half or in 4 triangle pieces.