- Add olive oil to sauté pan set over medium heat. Add kale, garlic, and shallot, and sauté for about eight minutes, until raw garlic smell goes away. Remove from heat.
- Place half prepared kale mixture in blender with cream and purée.
- Fold remaining kale mixture and béchamel into puréed creamy kale. Mix until combined.
- Toast bread to golden brown. Pile on as much creamy kale mixture as toast can handle. You’ll have plenty of extra for future servings. Store covered in fridge for up to 3 days.
- Garnish with parmesan and a sprinkle of nutmeg.
- Melt butter in stockpot set over low heat. When just melted, add flour in increments, whisking constantly and only adding more once all lumps have disappeared.
- When all flour is added, pour in milk in steady stream, whisking constantly. Continue whisking until slightly dark in color and liquid is reduced to gravy-like consistency. Note: Making béchamel can take a while. Be patient!