- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and place 2 10-inch cast iron pans into oven, each filled with 2 ounces vegetable oil or lard. Allow pans to preheat along with oven.
- Combine all dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk together buttermilk and eggs.
- Combine wet ingredients with dry, and add melted butter.
- Adjust consistency of batter with additional buttermilk until the mixture resembles thick pancake batter.
- Pour mixture into preheated cast iron pans and bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 45−55 minutes.
- Remove from pan and set aside to cool.
- Melt half of the butter in a heavy-bottomed skillet and allow the butter to lightly brown.
- Add the cipollini onions to the pan and allow to roast, turning once until deep brown on each side.
- Remove onions from the heat and season with salt. Set aside to use later.
- In another skillet combine ginger, sugar, vegetable stock, and remaining butter. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly to emulsify liquid and butter.
- Add the white portion of the green onions and cook until the liquid in the pan has almost evaporated. The onions should be bright green and glazed in the remaining liquid. Remove from heat and set aside.