Hand Pie Dough
- In large bowl, mix flour, sugar, salt, and butter together well.
- Transfer mixture to food processor, and pulse 3 to 4 times at about 4 seconds per pulse, until mixture is texture of coarse meal.
- Return mixture to bowl, add buttermilk and vinegar, and work liquids into crumbly mixture with hands. As dough begins to form, fold it over itself. This process will create layers, ensuring a flaky crust.
- Once dough has come together, transfer to floured surface and divide in half. Wrap each half tightly in plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or overnight.
Pickled Green Tomato + Pimento Cheese Hand Pie Filling
- To make Pickled Green Tomatoes, bundle peppercorns, allspice, caraway, Aleppo, garlic, and mustard seed in cheesecloth. Tie cheesecloth together into sachet.
- Heat vinegar, water, sugar, and sachet in medium sauce pan set over medium-high heat, bring to boil and boil 6 minutes.
- Place tomatoes and onion in medium mixing bowl and toss
- Once pickling liquid has boiled for 6 minutes, remove from heat and pour over tomatoes and onions. Refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours.
- Once pickles are done, make Pimento Cheese by combining all ingredients in bowl and mixing until thoroughly combined.
- Make hand pie mix by removing green tomato and onions from pickling liquid and mixing into pimento cheese.
Assembling Hand Pies
- On gently floured surface, roll out pie dough to ¼-inch thick.
- Working quickly, use 4½-inch ring mold to cut out circles.
- Discard leftover pieces and refrigerate circles for 10 minutes.
- Beat 3 eggs for egg wash and set aside.
- Working in batches, remove 3 to 4 circles at a time from refrigerator. Brush edges of dough circle lightly with egg wash. Place 1-2 tablespoons filling in center and fold. Press down around edges thoroughly, sealing with fingers or a fork.
- Transfer finished hand pies to refrigerator while working on remaining circles.
- Fry hand pies in cast-iron skillet filled with 3 inches canola oil or lard at 350 degrees until golden brown. Note: You can also bake on cookie sheet for 14 minutes at 350 degrees. If you choose to bake the pies, then brush tops with more egg wash and sprinkle black pepper on the apple one for added spice.