Ravigote is a classic cold French sauce, delicious served with shellfish, that has long been a favorite in New Orleans.
- In large bowl, combine mayonnaise, mustard, capers, egg, and horseradish. Season with salt and pepper. Fold in green onions.
- Will keep in refrigerator for a few weeks.
Yield: About 3 cups
- Place egg, lemon juice, and onion into bowl of food processor and purée. With motor running, slowly add half the oil. Add hot sauce, pepper, and salt to taste.
- Stop the motor, scrape sides of bowl with rubber spatula, and, with motor running again, slowly add remaining oil. Taste and adjust salt.
- Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week.
Note: This recipe can easily be doubled. If you’d like it thinner or thicker, use a bit more oil or egg, but adjust the seasoning.