- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat olive oil in a heavy nonstick skillet over high heat.
- Pat scallops dry and season with salt and pepper.
- Sear in the skillet for 1 ½ minutes, being careful to not overcrowd.
- Leave the seared side down and cook in oven for 3 minutes. Once scallops come out of oven, immediately remove from skillet to prevent overcooking.
- Peel and chop carrots into ½-inch pieces.
- Boil until just cooked, strain, and place in a food processor.
- Add the mascarpone and butter and pulse until smooth. Season with salt.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add shallots, then greens, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add wine and toss until chard has wilted.
For Carrot-Top Pesto
- Pulse garlic and nuts in a food processor until a coarse paste forms.
- Add basil, parmesan, and reserved carrot tops; process until a coarse purée forms.
- Add olive oil and pulse until combined, then season with salt and pepper.
To plate, place a healthy dollop of carrot puree on a plate. Next add wilted chard, then 4 scallops on each plate. Top the scallops with pesto.