Bring new excitement to vegetables with this asparagus fritters appetizer. The popular recipe comes from Frank Pullara, owner of Culaccino. Cook this simple and delicious appetizer that is delicately made with pecorino, lemon, and saffron aioli. Pullara got this dish from his Nonna herself made with love.
Serves 3 to 4
1 lbs asparagus, remove the lower part that is tough, chopped
1 bunch of scallions, chopped
2 oz basil, chopped
1 ounce mint, chopped
1 cup pecorino, grated
1 lemon, zest only
Salt and pepper to taste
3/4 cup breadcrumbs
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl, until well incorporated. The mixture should be sticky.
- Heat up a sauté pan with olive oil and with a spoon or a small dish, add the asparagus mixture to the pan. Lightly press down on the patties to flatten while the one side is cooking. Once the one side is golden brown, flip and repeat to the other side. (Cook each side for 2-3 minutes on medium heat)
- Once both sides are golden brown, remove from the pan onto a dish lined with a paper towel to remove access oil.
- Ready to serve. Try serving it with a saffron aioli, and pecorino cheese, or it can also be served with a tomato sauce, or even with just a sprinkle of sea salt and a little lemon juice.
- Recipe by Frank Pullara, Culaccino, Franklin, Tenneessee