4 to 6 servings
1 whole chicken, cut into parts
3 cups buttermilk
Salt & pepper
¼ cup peanut oil
- Soak chicken in salt water overnight. Rinse and pat dry.
- Place a large cast-iron skillet filled with ¼ cup peanut oil over medium to medium-high heat.
- Dip chicken pieces in buttermilk, and then dredge in seasoned flour. Shake off excess.
- When oil is hot enough to be slightly smoking, gently lower chicken in, skin side down. Fry until golden brown, then turn. Repeat cooking process on other side. Reduce heat to medium-low, turn chicken back to skin side, cover, and cook for 20-25 minutes or until chicken begins to plump. Remove cover, raise heat slightly, and crisp on both sides to golden brown, being careful not to burn.
- From Jim Noble of Charlotte, North Carolina