Vanilla Gelato Base
Beardcat’s uses a gelato machine, but you can use any ice cream or frozen dessert spinner—though the texture may differ slightly.
- Whisk yolks and sugar until light and fluffy; set aside.
- In a saucepot over medium-low heat, combine milk, heavy cream, salt and vanilla beans. Heat until barely simmering but not boiling. Discard vanilla beans.
- Slowly pour the hot liquid mixture into the sugared yolks 1 at a time, whisking fully between pours to prevent scrambling.
- Return the mixture to the saucepot over low heat. While continuously stirring with a wooden spoon, watch closely as the mixture begins to thicken in to a custard. Once thickened enough, it should coat the back of the wooden spoon. Remove from heat.
- With a fine mesh sieve, strain the mixture into a bowl and place over a water bath, stirring occasionally until chilled to prevent a skin developing. Place in refrigerator with a light blanket of plastic wrap on the surface until ready to spin.
- Prepare an ice cream or gelato machine as instructed and follow manufacturer’s directions for spinning frozen desserts. Transfer the gelato to a chilled container.
- For each variation, reduce amount of vanilla to one bean.
- Cinnamon gelato: add 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon to strained mixture before chilling.
- Strawberry gelato: add 1 and 2/3 cups pureed strawberries (about 3 cups sliced berries) to strained mixture before chilling.
- Chocolate chip gelato: add 2 cups semi-sweet mini chocolate chips to strained mixture before chilling.
Lemon Sugar Cookies
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugars.
- With the mixer on slowest speed, add vanilla and eggs.
- Add dry mix and blend only until incorporated.
- Let cookie dough chill until firm.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Use a 1-ounce scoop to evenly dollop dough onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 4 minutes, turn, then bake additional 5 minutes.
Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Using the paddle attachment in a stand mixer, beat together butter and sugars until incorporated.
- Break eggs into separate bowl and add vanilla extract. Slowly add egg/vanilla mix one egg at a time to mixer bowl while it is going on the slowest speed, stopping to scrape down the side of mixing bowl after each addition.
- In another bowl, combine flour, salt, baking soda, and chocolate chips, then add to wet ingredients and mix only until incorporated.
- Form dough into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap, and chill in refrigerator until firm.
- Preheat oven to 300F degrees, 1 ounce portion scoop to evenly pack dough into scoop.
- Bake in a preheated oven of 300F for 4 minutes, turn, then bake an additional 5 minutes.
To Assemble Sandwiches
- Once cookies are baked, match them with their pair and freeze at least 2 hours.
- With a 4-ounce scoop, scoop a leveled amount of gelato onto one half of the cookie pair.
- Quickly add the other cookie and gently press until gelato comes to the sides evenly with the cookie.
- Refreeze for at least 3 hours; remove from freezer about 5 minutes prior to eating.