Serves 8 to 10
2 cups brown or white long-grain rice
4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
2 pounds Camellia black-eyed peas, soaked overnight
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, coarsely chopped
4 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
1 pound ground turkey
1 pound ground pork
2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
Creole seasoning to taste
1 ½ tablespoons dried basil
¼ cup red or white wine
- Combine rice and stock in a sauce pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes, until rice is tender. Set aside.
- Rinse and drain peas twice. Set aside.
- Add olive oil to a skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1/3 of the onion and 1 tablespoon garlic, and sauté until onion is translucent, about 4 minutes. Add ground turkey and ground pork to skillet. Reduce heat to medium, and cook until meat is thoroughly browned, about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add black-eyed peas to a large dutch oven, preferably cast iron, and cover with 2 1/2 inches of water. To the dutch oven, add meat mixture, remaining onion and garlic, worcestershire, creole seasoning to taste, basil, wine, and 2 cups cooked rice. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and simmer until peas are soft, about 1 ½ to 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Add additional water if necessary.
- Serve with buttermilk biscuits.
- From Camellia Brand Beans, New Orleans, Louisiana