½ cup shallots, minced
1½ cups white and light green part of spring onion, cut into thin semi-circles
2 teaspoons salt
¼ pound butter
1½ cups white corn, cut off cob
½ cup water
1 quart chicken stock
6 large garlic cloves, peeled and scored
8 tablespoons jumbo lump blue crab, gentle cleaned of shell
16 fresh thyme buds
Several grinds of white pepper
- Sweat shallots, spring onions, and salt in butter in a deep stock pan until tender.
- Add corn and water. Simmer 2-3 minutes.
- Add chicken stock and bring to a simmer, and add crab and thyme. Float garlic in the soup at the very last minute for a blast of fresh garlic flavor, but remove before serving.
- A serving option is to add a small ravioli or gnocchi to the soup as a dumpling will give the dish more body (but it is plenty flavorful as it is!). Grind fresh white pepper to finish.
- from Chef Frank Lee of SNOB in Charleston, South Carolina