Chef Matt Bolus of The 404 Kitchen in Nashville, Tennessee elevates the button mushroom.
4 to 6 servings
2 pounds button mushrooms, small to medium sized
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
Kosher salt to taste
Black Pepper to taste
2 tablespoons preserved lemon, small dice
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon chopped chervil
- Combine mushrooms and butter in large pan, and place over medium heat. Season lightly with a pinch of salt and black pepper.
- Cook mushrooms stirring occasionally until they release all their water and seem to be boiling.
- Allow mushrooms to continue cooking until all liquid is cooked off and pan is nearly dry, again stirring occasionally.
- Once pan is nearly dry keep cooking mushrooms over heat stirring more and more frequently until they are all uniformly caramelized to deep golden brown.
- Remove pan from heat and add apple cider vinegar, stir well to incorporate evenly. Adjust seasoning with more salt and black pepper as needed.
- Pour mushrooms in large bowl and garnish them with preserved lemon and chervil.
- Recipe from chef Matt Bolus of The 404 Kitchen, Nashville, Tennessee