2 bunches Mustard greens, trimmed and washed
2 bunches Collard greens, trimmed and washed
¼ pound salt pork, chopped
1 piece of smoked ham hock
4 cups water
1 teaspoon white sugar
1 teaspoon chili flakes
1 tablespoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons chicken seasoning
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon oil
- Lightly fry salt pork with oil in a large stock pot for about 1 min. Add water, ham hock and cook for 1 hour with lid.
- Add greens to pot. If all greens don’t fit, let cook for 2 minutes–it will cook down, then add remainder.
- Add chili flakes, salt, and creole seasoning. Cook until greens and ham hocks are tender, will take about 2 hours.
- Adjust seasoning with vinegar.
- Pick meat from bone and chopping up. Add back to greens and adjust seasoning if need be.
- Enjoy with hot water cornbread.
Date Published: 09.05.21
From Tiffany Derry, Roots Southern Table, Houston
shop the south
Discover the Local Palate's thoughtfully curated selection of regional food products.