2 large cantaloupes, peeled, seeded and sliced into 6 pieces
6 tablespoons butter
1-1 ½ cups heavy cream, room temperature
1 (10 ounce) can ginger ale, room temperature
¼ cup sugar, may substitute honey
2 limes, juiced
1 teaspoon Moroccan curry spice (ras el hanout, available at most international grocery stores)
¼ teaspoon cayenne
2 tablespoons ginger, chopped
Cilantro, for garnish
Ginger, for garnish
Pomegranate molasses to garnish (available at most international grocery stores)
8 ounces plain yogurt
4 ounces candied ginger
1 cup water
½ cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place cantaloupe on baking sheet and roast for 20-25 minutes until edges are browned.
- Place butter, cream, ginger ale, sugar, lime juice, Moroccan spice, salt and ginger into a blender. Puree until smooth and then strain. May need to be pureed in multiple batches. Chill. If you prefer a thinner soup, add more ginger ale.
- To make ginger paste, heat candied ginger in a small saucepan with 1 cup water and ½ cup sugar, bring to a simmer and then puree. Mix yogurt with 2 tablespoons of ginger paste. Chill.
- To serve, pour chilled soup into bowls and top with a dollop of ginger yogurt and a light drizzle of the pomegranate molasses. Garnish with a sprig of cilantro and ginger thinly sliced with a microplane.
- from Chef Deb Paquette of Etch Restaurant, Nashville, Tennessee