- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a 9-inch cake pan, add sugar and shake to coat evenly. Place pan in oven to melt sugar into a rich brown caramel, about 10–15 minutes.
- In a small saucepan on medium-high heat, add water and ginger. Simmer to infuse ginger flavor, about 25 minutes, then strain and cool.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together cream cheese, milk, eggs, vanilla, and salt. Add ginger-infused water.
- Pour mixture into cake pan (on top of caramelized sugar) and bake in a water bath for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Chill overnight to set.