12 4-ounce servings
2 cups heavy cream
2 vanilla beans
1 pinch saffron
6 egg yolks
½ cup sugar
½ cup sweetened condensed milk
1 cup plain Greek yogurt
½ teaspoon ground green cardamom
Fresh pomegranate seeds, for garnish
Finely chopped pistachios, for garnish
- Pour cream into a small saucepan. Split vanilla beans in half lengthwise and scrape seeds into cream. Add vanilla pods and saffron. Heat cream over medium until it steams. Cover pan, turn off heat, and let stand for 10–15 minutes. Remove vanilla pods.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Beat egg yolks and sugar in a bowl until light in color. Stir in about ¼ of the cream mixture. Pour all egg yolk mixture into the cream in the saucepan and mix well.
- Combine condensed milk, yogurt, and cardamom in a bowl. Fold into egg mixture.
- Divide custard among 12 4-ounce ramekins. Set ramekins in a baking dish and add enough water to baking dish to reach halfway up sides of ramekins. Cover pan with foil.
- Bake for 30–40 minutes until centers are barely set. Chill in refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Garnish with pomegranate seeds and pistachios to serve.
- From Chef Maneet Chauhan of Chauhan Ale & Masala House, Nashville, TN