1 pound okra
2 quarts canola oil (or other neutral oil)
- Julienne okra lengthwise into thin strips, about the size of shoestring fries.
- In a stockpot over medium-high heat, heat the oil to 350 degrees. Drop small batches (about two cups total) of the okra into the hot oil, taking care not to crowd the pot. Fry for 2 to 3 minutes, until lightly brown, using tongs to gently turn okra over for even cooking.
- Remove okra with a slotted spoon or skimmer onto a paper towel to absorb the oil. Okra should be crispy but not dark or burnt. Repeat with remaining okra.
- Transfer hot okra to a bowl and toss with juice from half a lime and salt.
- From Meherwan Irani of Chai Pani, Asheville, North Carolina