6 cups water
¼ cup salt
¼ cup sugar
3 bay leaves
1 bunch thyme
5 stems parsley
1 stem rosemary
¼ cup black peppercorns
10–15 cloves garlic
1 whole lemon halved and squeezed
skinless breasts of chicken halved and pounded flat
2 cups flour
1 tablespoon dried parsley
½ teaspoon cayenne
½ teaspoon white pepper
Grapeseed oil as needed
1–2 tablespoons capers
10 lemon wedges
- Mix all brine ingredients together and place chicken in brine for at least 4 hours.
- Make seasoned flour by mixing flour with dried parsley, cayenne, and white pepper.
- Remove chicken from brine, dredge in seasoned flour, and fry in pan in ½ inch grapeseed oil until 165 degrees internally (or deep-fry in 350 degrees until cutlet floats).
- Fry eggs while chicken is cooking.
- Serve 2 breasts on a plate, top with a sunny-side-up egg, a few capers, and lemon wedge.
- from Chef Alex Gates of Hotel Saint Cecilia, Austin