For the tostadas:
- In a large bowl, combine garlic, shallot, chile flakes, thyme, salt, pepper, and oregano. Add chicken breasts and rub with mixture. Cover and refrigerate until ready to cook. (May be seasoned and refrigerated the day before.)
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook chicken breasts in batches being careful not to crowd the pan. Finely shred meat.
- Combine salsa and pulled chicken in skillet and stir. Add onion and simmer 5 to 10 minutes, or until heated through, taking care that sauce doesn’t get too thick.
- Spoon chicken over fried corn tortillas. Garnish each with avocado slices, crumbled Cotija cheese, pico de gallo, shredded iceberg lettuce, crema, and a squeeze of lime.
For the charred tomato and chipotle salsa:
Makes approximately 2 cups
- In an un-greased heavy skillet over medium-high heat, char tomatoes, garlic, onion, and pepper until nicely browned. Remove and discard some of the large charred pieces of skin.
- Transfer charred vegetables to blender along with chicken stock and blend until smooth.
- Transfer sauce to skillet. Add canola oil and salt and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
For the pico de gallo:
Combine tomatoes, onion, cilantro, and jalapeño peppers. Add salt and lime juice.