Photo by Christina Oxford
6 cups sugar
4 cups heavy cream
3 fluid ounces glucose (or corn syrup)
2 tablespoons dark roast coffee, ground
1 tablespoon fleur de sel (salt)
4 tablespoons plugra or high fat butter (any butter will do just mind the salt)
- Pour sugar in sauce pan.
- Cut and seed vanilla bean.
- Stir sugar and vanilla seed until they become an amber color.
- In separate pot, add cream and vanilla pods.
- As soon as sugar is neary liquefied, remove it from the heat.
- Add invert sugar (glucose/corn syrup) and stir until completely dissolves into melted sugar.
- Increase heat on cream once it begins to steam. Once you get rolling boil, pour cream into sugar
- Cook until you reach 225 degrees on candy thermometer.
- Pull off the heat and add butter.
- Pour caramel through strainer onto silicone liner or buttered parchment.
- Let stand overnight, unrefrigerated.
Date Published: 02.02.12
from Johnny Battles, Sweeteeth chocolatier of Charleston, SC