¼ cup chili powder
¼ cup finely ground espresso
2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 tablespoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 boneless rib eye or New York strip buffalo steaks
Canola oil or olive oil
Salt and coarsely ground black pepper
- Combine all spices in a bowl.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Preheat a heavy, oven-safe pan over high heat.
- Brush each side of the steak with oil and then season each side liberal with salt and pepper.
- Rub 2 teaspoons of the coffee rub onto one side of each steak.
- Cook the steak, rub side down, for 2 minutes.
- Flip the steak and cook for 2 additional minutes and then transfer to the pan in the oven and cook to medium-rare, approximately 7 minutes (use a meat thermometer to check temperature and remove steak when it reaches 5 degrees shy of desired temperature as the steak will continue cooking after it’s removed from heat).
- Immediately remove the steak from the pan and let it rest on cutting board or on a wire rack placed over a plate for 8-10 minutes.
- Slice and serve.
- from Cibola Farms of Culpeper, VA