3 cups water
½ teaspoon kosher salt plus more for seasoning
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup stoneground grits
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup cheese, such as cheddar
- Bring water, ½ teaspoon salt, and 1 tablespoon butter to a boil in a medium saucepan.
- Stir in grits and reduce heat to low.
- Cook grits over low heat, stirring occasionally, until thick and creamy, about 40 minutes.
- When grits are done, stir in cream and remaining butter.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese and season to taste with salt, pepper, and hot sauce.
- from Dorothea Benton Frank and Charleston Cooks!, Charleston, SC